codemorphis.com Forum Index codemorphis.com
Software development: pure and simple.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few concerns running Synopsis under Win98

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> Visual Programming Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: A few concerns running Synopsis under Win98 Reply with quote

Very good programming tool!

A suggestion:

I have been using the demo Synopsis for a couple of weeks and have found that I could have made good use of an "undo" function.

After unnecessarily deleting a large set of nested components it took a while to re-draw the components. The presence of an "undo" control would have helped.

I am now copying anything I am considering deleting prior to doing so.

A concern using Synopsis under Win98:

I have tested Synopsis on two separate win98 machines and have experienced a problem interacting with the main programming interface.

I run Synopsis from the desktop icon (double click). The main Synopsis programming window opens with the "start" component showing.

Selecting the "component tray" either from the top drop down menu or "Ctrl T" causes the component tray to display.

So far so good, but at this point, if I click on any of the component tray "tabs" i.e. Windows, Data, logic etc. the component tray immediately disappears.

I can get the component tray to re-appear by first clicking on the taskbar button of any other application I may have running on the win98 taskbar. I then return to Synopsis by clicking its taskbar button. Synopsis re-appears with the component tray now visable and showing the contents of the tab I had selected.

A smilar problem occurs while editing "windows forms". Clicking upon the form in order to edit it causes the form to disappear. This problem is however less repeatable.

Another clue to the same problem is evident when I repeat the above scenario but, instead of clicking on the button of a running application in the win98 taskbar, I click on the "desktop" quick launch icon. This bring up the desktop but the entire taskbar (Start button etc.) is not visable.

The win98 taskbar can be made to reappear by "right" clicking to get the desktop context menu and selecting "properties". Once the properties window appears simply cancelling out of it seems to refresh the display and the taskbar returns.

I expect it is related to refreshing the display in win98 as this problem does not appear to occur in XP.

Nevertheless I am delighted with the Synopsis programming tool. It's easy to use and it allows me to focus on program logic and flow rather than code.

Cheers
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your very detailed post.

The undo feature is definitely a useful and important tool. Unfortunately, it did not make it into version 1.1 due to time constraints, as there were many other more pressing features regarding application development/prototyping that needed addressing.

Undo/redo will be available in the next major release.

Before replying to your post, we spent some time trying to reproduce the problems that you described on Win 98. We have not been able to reproduce any of these problems. The display of Windows forms and dialogs is done at the Windows layer of Win 98 or XP, etc and this is transparent to Synopsis - meaning that it does not do anything specific that could be different on XP or Win 98. Therefore, it sounds like an OS environment problem, although it is very curious that you should have the same problem on two different machines running Win 98.

Perhaps you could try adjusting some display settings to help provide more information? To do this:

• Right click on the desktop and select "Properties"
  • Click the "Settings" tab and then the "Advanced" button
  • Click the "Performance" tab
  • Turn off the graphics hardware acceleration by moving the slider to the "None" position.
  • Click "Ok" to close all dialogs (your computer might require you to restart).

What you are describing sounds like some sort of conflict between display mechanisms. So try this and if it does not work, please reply with info regarding the version of Direct X that you have installed and which Win 98 updates you have.

Regards,

CodeMorphis Support
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> Visual Programming Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: