codemorphis.com Forum Index codemorphis.com
Software development: pure and simple.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Program -- Help and Suggestions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> Visual Programming Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golddad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Great Program -- Help and Suggestions Reply with quote

I am a new user to Synopsis. I have a background in assembly programming and embedded processor coding. I enjoy using the Parallax SX group of microprocessors with an integrated assembly / proprietary-basic programming utility. I have always had some kind of mental block about "OOP" and "C languages" in general. In the late 80's, I came across a program for Windows 3.1 that used a no-code format very similar to yours. It was called OBJECTS INC.- LAYOUT. It used what the company called "boxes." These boxes were similar to your "Components" and each box had popups that allowed you to edit their attributes. This system also used dragged lines from input and output tabs on each "box". They also had a "Black Box" that could be created from combined boxes or assembly code. The program output HEX Asm and EXE files. Unfortunately, they seemed to have licensing problems with Microsoft and could not get permission to use the Windows 95 development files. BY BY LAYOUT !!

I have been searching for years in vane to find a similar program. I found some, like LIMNOR, but they are hard to use and learn, not very intuitive and not worth the effort and time.

Two days ago (10/4/2005) I found your site and started reading. Thank You ! I have found the program I have been searching for. I downloaded the demo version and have been exploring. So far so Good. I look forward to purchasing Synopsis in the near future.

There are a few issues and questions I would like to address though....

1. I would like to see an Infrared port component. It should handle send and receive, baud rates from 1.2 kbs to 4Mbps,, bit stops, data types (HP, VISHAY, Variable data length etc.), parity and any other IR parameters.
Note: I have a laptop with an IR transceiver. I would like to link to my PALM , other computers, the Lego Mindstorm and other robotic systems.

2. Is there a way to integrate assembly code into an application? If not, can a component be created to handle such code?

3. Can components be created that can port code to other devices such as the Palm and other PDAs?

4. I understand from reading one of the forum topics that no code is generated by the program that is viewable by the user. It would be nice for porting purposes to have at least an assembly or hex dump.

5. I would like to create a program that could use the synopsis interface for programming my Parallax SX28 Chips Graphically (using the SX-Key parameters) and generate hex dumps that can be loaded to the microprocessors.
IE: Teach Synopsis to program sx28 chips. IS THIS POSSIBLE ! ? ALTERNATIVELY, create a program that will use a graphical interface to program the chips

6. Can I create nested components and save them in some way to use them in other projects

7. How long before SCPs can be created and saved by the user?

8. Can I merge two or more programs to use complicated functions created in one, in the new one?

I probably have a few thousand more questions but that’s it for now.

Thanks again for the program and any help you can provide.
Looking forward to your reply.
GoldDad
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post and great questions.

In answering your questions below, please keep in mind the following:

Synopsis is not a programming language but rather a rapid application prototyping tool that allows disparate pieces of software to be integrated in one development platform.

golddad wrote:
1. I would like to see an Infrared port component. It should handle send and receive, baud rates from 1.2 kbs to 4Mbps,, bit stops, data types (HP, VISHAY, Variable data length etc.), parity and any other IR parameters.
Note: I have a laptop with an IR transceiver. I would like to link to my PALM , other computers, the Lego Mindstorm and other robotic systems.

Integration of software and devices is a key goal of Synopsis and its underlying technology. Have a look at the Serial Port component from the I/O tab of the Component Tray. Other specialized and similar functioning communication components will be introduced in the future. Please feel free to provide requirements descriptions - we try as much as possible to take development cues from the user base.

golddad wrote:
2. Is there a way to integrate assembly code into an application? If not, can a component be created to handle such code?

Because Synopsis is not a language or tied to any one programming language, it does not compile assembly code. You can, however, write assembly code outside Synopsis, compile it using your normal assembler tools and then connect to your assembly-compiled objects via the DLL Function Call component, which allows connection to functions inside DLLs.

golddad wrote:
3. Can components be created that can port code to other devices such as the Palm and other PDAs?

This porting problem would be handled by the introduction of a platform layer for other devices. This is currently being researched in recognition of the importance of device connectivity and convergence.

golddad wrote:
4. I understand from reading one of the forum topics that no code is generated by the program that is viewable by the user. It would be nice for porting purposes to have at least an assembly or hex dump.

Given the target audience, i.e. users wanting to concentrate on high-level logic and not programming details, producing assembly output was not deemed to be a key benefit. Source output, however, remains on a long-term list for future development features.

golddad wrote:
5. I would like to create a program that could use the synopsis interface for programming my Parallax SX28 Chips Graphically (using the SX-Key parameters) and generate hex dumps that can be loaded to the microprocessors.
IE: Teach Synopsis to program sx28 chips. IS THIS POSSIBLE ! ? ALTERNATIVELY, create a program that will use a graphical interface to program the chips

The "black box" analogy that you described above can in fact be applied to your problem, where a component can be created to interface with your hardware. This requires the proprietary SDK used to create Synopsis components and SCPs. Plans are to offer this as a separate product to allow developers to create highly specialized components.

golddad wrote:
6. Can I create nested components and save them in some way to use them in other projects

This feature is being implemented for the forth-coming major release. Essentially, the feature will allow for generation of an SCP from a Nesting component or a set of Nesting components.

golddad wrote:
7. How long before SCPs can be created and saved by the user?

The details/scheduling for the next major release are still being ironed-out. Please stay tuned for any forth-coming announcements. There are periodic minor releases for the current development stream, and sometimes, if the development process permits, some key features are moved up in the release cycle.

golddad wrote:
8. Can I merge two or more programs to use complicated functions created in one, in the new one?

This could either be handled by the SCP solution, described above, or the forth-coming meta-description feature, which will allow copy/cut/pasting of component selections from one program to another.

Hope that this helps and please feel provide to ask any questions you may have.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> Visual Programming Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: