codemorphis.com Forum Index codemorphis.com
Software development: pure and simple.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A simple problem --- not quite! HELP

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> Visual Programming Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golddad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: A simple problem --- not quite! HELP Reply with quote

OK!

I'm lost!

I realize that there may be a simple answer to my problem, but it eludes me.

So here goes.

A form shows an addition program. A + B + C = SUM
But here is the switch ----> You can input any three numbers to find the forth.
In other words, I can Input A,C and SUM and hit CALCULATE and the answer will fill in the B box automatically.

1) I would like to have a "Windows Form" with four (4) numeric input boxes.
2) Each "Input Box" would have a label; A, B, C, SUM
3) There would be a "CALCULATE" button.
4) A text message would read: "Input ANY THREE numbers"
5) Any number can be positive, negative or floating point.
6) Error handling for more than “three inputs”
7) "TEXT" input would be erased automatically upon an Enter, Tab or mouse focus on another box.
8) After inputting any three numbers, even the sum, the remaining fourth box would be calculated after hitting “CALCULATE”.
9) There would be an "EXIT" button.

This problem of course covers several topics.

a) Isolating NUMERIC ONLY input
b) Use of three different change of focus methods
c) Erasing invalid input
d) And most important, a way of determining which input box is empty and how to calculate the missing number.

This problem is relatively easy in EXCELL, but I do not want to depend on calling other programs to do this.
Can someone please write a file that covers these topics for us-ever-so-confused newbies?
Or at least explain how to go about setting this up. The form seems easy, but the rest ....well, HELP!

Speaking of EXCELL; to the CODEMORPHIS staff, could you include a TABLES and/or a SPREADSHEET component in the next version.
PS: Of course I would love to hear from CODEMORPHIS staff, but I hope to also get ideas from Synopsis Users. There are a lot of sharp people out there and everyone can have a different idea of how to solve a problem. Please prove me right and add your input.

Thanks
golddad
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example program that demonstrates the main ideas. It is for an equation with 3 terms - you can easily extend it for 4. You should be able to follow the logic if you have acquainted yourself with the basic features of Synopsis. Reading the programming tips will also help you understand how the program was put together.

www.codemorphis.com/articles/ans05/ans_102505/Math_Equation.vpd

One omission is the handling for the Enter and Tab keys. In order to know when to clear an argument because the user changed the UI component focus with the Tab key, for instance, we need a Windows event for a change of focus. This event will be introduced possibly in a future minor update.

Hope this helps.
DavidCbs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Golddad. Your challenge interested me so I thought I would have a go. I'm no expert, more an enthusiastic amateur but I've been able to put together something that appears to do most of what you are looking for except the Tab focus issue. As you rightly say there are often different approaches mine is fairly basic. I know there is room for improvement, it could be tidied up quite a lot but it's a start. Only problem is how do I get the vpd to you? My website is down and I don't think we can send attachments via the forum?
golddad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the CODEMORPHIS STAFF:

Thank you for the quick reply. This helps a lot. I am going over the program and I am beginning to understand how it works. I will keep in touch as I learn and as I have more questions.

Thanks Again Smile

To DaveCBS:

Thanks for trying to help! I hope more people like you see the need to share their abilities and knowledge. I will PM you my Email and you can attach the VDP file in a message.

Thank you for sharing Smile Smile
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is something that you would like to post, you may send files to support@codemorphis.com, and following review, we can add it to the Forums for you. The other option is to host your files on third-party sites and refer to them from within your post.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> Visual Programming Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: