codemorphis.com Forum Index codemorphis.com
Software development: pure and simple.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting an Access DB to Synopsis?!?!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> Visual Programming Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiknNutz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Converting an Access DB to Synopsis?!?! Reply with quote

Hi all, this is my first post. I sent this question to the owner, but thought I might get some add'l feedback if posted publicly.

I found your site and program after searching on Google for an easy to use programming language. After going thru your site a bit, it looks interesting. I know that Synopsis is not a language, but more of a high-level program to create other programs...at least that's what I gather. Anyway, on to my question. I currently have an Acess db that I sell online. I have incorporated some 3rd part security features and installation (Sagekey) to make it a standalone item. I originally wanted to create the program in VB or similar and make it an EXE, but I am not a programmer, just a knowledgeable power-user if you will. So, what I want to know is, how difficult do you feel it MIGHT be to convert this thing over from Access to your program? I know, that is a loaded question. Understand that my program is really not all that sophisticated, but it does rely heavily on a database. However, I'd like to add some functionality to it that I'm not able to figure out in Access (though it may be possible, again, I'm not a programmer). Some things I'd like to add would be for a user to be able to restore the original "defaults" and such. The program is really just a specialized calculation program (with lots of user inputs, dropdowns and the like), but also has some elements of a financial software (think of Quickbooks Extra-Lite). In addition, I'd like to be able to have this be installed over a network. Further, I'd like to be able to offer an update service (just like most other Windows programs). So, after considering some of this, do you think that your program would aid me in this endeavor w/o gobs of crying and gnashing of teeth? I plan to DL your trial, just to give it a spin, but haven't yet. Thanks for your assistance!
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your observation that Synopsis is not a language but a high-level tool is correct.

That said, there is a component called Access Database that allows you to interface with MS Access as well as a variety of other databases connections (MS SQL Server, ODBC, CSV, etc).

You should have no problem creating a rich user interface that controls the data exchange with Access.

Feel free to post any questions you may have.
ChiknNutz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the use of Access, I am actually trying to get away from using it altogether, but replace the db with something else. Reason for this, is I don't want to send along a runtime Access with the program. I want it all contained in whatever program I end up making. Although I do have the rights to distrubute the runtime, there are several reasons I want to get away from it. So, is there an alternate method of incorporating the db portion w/o using Access? I have to assume that a user will NOT have any db software installed on their computer, so it must be provided in my program.
mforkner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Access Programming w/Synopsis Reply with quote

Hi ChiknNutz,

I have done quite a few Access dependant programs with Synopsis, and the good news is you only need to distribute the Access database .mdb file with the .exe created with Synopsis and the Synopsis .DLL files required to run .exe's created with it. You will need a knowledge of SQL commands to read from and write to your database, but SQL is easy to understand and there are many free tutorials on the internet for reference.

mforkner
ChiknNutz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, I figured I'd need to have a bundles Runtime or have Access installed on the client machine. Good to know!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> Visual Programming Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: