codemorphis.com Forum Index codemorphis.com
Software development: pure and simple.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Announcement: Major Release for Synopsis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Announcement: Major Release for Synopsis Reply with quote

CodeMorphis is pleased to announce the forth-coming major release of Synopsis which is targeted for release in January 2008.

A vast set of improvements have been added to the Synopsis product that cover many architectural aspects as well as visible features. The ground-work laid in the next major release (code named Apex) introduces new technology that will allow for future extensions and powerful integration software and components (SCPs).

The end-user feature set introduced includes:

• Full undo/redo of all operations
  • Un-nest function
  • New Synopsis program script syntax allows copy/pasting content from one instance of Synopsis to another
  • VPD source files can now be dragged and dropped into Synopsis for quick loading
  • Tooltips for component ports (name, description, value) that are shown as the mouse cursor hovers above the ports
  • Create user SCP functionality: Synopsis program content can now be wrapped into a user-defined SCP that can be
    made available from the component tray and integrated into programs
  • Smart tag for components that offer more than one service: clicking the small green tag on the side of such components
    allows direct setting of the current service, eliminating the need to access the full component property page
  • Handling of non-printable chars in strings: the new $CHR() syntax allows for the input/output of non-printable ASCII chars
  • Breakpoints: non-conditional and conditional breakpoints can be assigned to any process component to break program run
  • Windows Callback component: allows for invocation of logic in a special Windows event nesting component in response
    to specified Windows events
  • Structures for Array, Linked List, Stack components. Data structure components can now have up to 16 data members
  • Static data properties for Array, Linked List, Stack components: allows for definition of structure data at program design time
  • New Windows closing and Windows closed events
  • Event filters for UI components: events can now exclude/include subsets of defined UI components in Windows Forms
    to reduce the amount of handling logic in the program
  • New OLE database component dedicated to advanced database connectivity such as MS SQL Server
  • New ODBC database component dedicated to ODBC database connectivity
  • New FTP client component (SCP)
  • New socket (TCP/IP) component (SCP)
  • New Excel component (SCP) allows for interface with Excel application
  • New clipboard component (SCP) allows for copying to and from the Windows clipboard
  • New Pop3/STMP email client (SCP) allows for receiving full email (message, headers, email fields, attachments, etc)
    as well as sending full email
  • Data port editor is now non-modal allowing refresh of data as program runs and enhancing program editing ease and flexibility.
    Input and output data ports are now combined into a single view.
  • Opacity control for data port dialogs allows transparency to easily view program contents and data while editing
  • Revised UI component property pages: standard Windows property look and feel
  • Selected component name and path info now shown in Synopsis toolbar
  • Easier access to component tray with direct interface in Synopsis toolbar
DavidCbs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Apex Reply with quote

This news has been eagerly awaited and the prospect will help me through the gloom of our so-called winter.

The Codemorphis team has clearly been working very hard to bring us an improved and enhanced product. The list of changes looks impressive.

Apex - The highest point? I don't think so, because I sense that you guys (and gals?) are committed to taking this even further.

Perhaps it is like the apex of one of your iconic Canadian icebergs. There is so much more beneath the surface; what you see is a fraction of what you get.
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidCbs,

Thanks for your post. The code name only represents the culmination of the efforts to develop a new architecture that will allow many new and powerful features. In this sense, it is a new milestone reached and certainly not the last one to be attained. There are many more advances for Synopsis to follow and this next release will make that possible.
mforkner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Shazam! Reply with quote

The wait has been long, but I believe it will be well worth it. I can't wait to get my Apex release, and dig into a couple projects I've been putting off until this version came available.

Thanks Codemorphis!
ChiknNutz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this be a free upgrade for existing owners of the software? If not, what will be the upgrade price?
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apex release is a new version branch and is a new product, apart from Synopsis 1.1. A pricing announcement will follow as the release date approaches.

License holders of Synopsis 1.1 will be able to purchase this forthcoming version at a discount, which will be less than any price difference between 1.1 and Apex.

This guarantees that the cost of purchasing version 1.1 + any upgrade price will be less than the sticker price of the next version.
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CodeMorphis wishes all a Happy New Year and all the best for 2008!

Development for the next major release is complete and testing is underway. The estimated testing cycle should put release within a few weeks. Please stay tuned for more developments and a final release date.
anachreon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Will this new architecture also ease the cross-platform possibilities alluded to in the FAQ?

Cheers,

Luis.
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new architecture for the forthcoming release allows for new features and other extended features in the near future. The release is for the Windows platform.

Which platform is of interest to you?

Regards,

CodeMorphis
anachreon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

I'm interested principally in Mac and Win, Linux would be a nice addition. This is not only to increase client base, but at times the product is best suited to a particular platform because that type of product is missing (or could be made better!) for that particular platform.

Ideally the IDE should be available for all platforms, but as a compromise I wouldn't mind developing in one and deploy to all.

Cheers,

Luis.
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input. There still remains a fair amount of development for the Windows platform although cross-platform development is becoming more of interest as integration advances. Your post is helpful in understanding future direction.
anachreon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!

I just purchased a licence (waiting for the activation key) principally for the inclusion of the POP3 and SMTP client, as well as then being cheaper via the upgarde path than buying the next full-blown version!
As it stands, I had to bite the bullet and invest in your product: I hope the next version isn't too expensive and puts peple off buying it!

Maybe it would be an idea to consider a two-tier licence: One with a Codemorphis splash screen (that way any users would see the ad and be tempted to try the software!) and one without (more commercially oriented).

I'm interested in the Firebird database: Will you have built in connectivity for it? It has an embedded server option, which is great for standalone apps.

Cheers,

Luis.
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anachreon,

Thanks for your suggestions. As always, we welcome user input and take such comments into consideration.

You might be able to integrate the Firebird database already in Synopsis 1.1 using the database component. A possible connection string format may be:

User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;Database=MyDatabase.fdb;DataSource=localhost;Port=3050;Dialect=3; Charset=NONE;Role=;Connection lifetime=15;Pooling=true;MinPoolSize=0;MaxPoolSize=50;Packet Size=8192;ServerType=0;

Note that this information was acquired from an example and has not been verified to work. You should be able to search on the Internet for info and examples of Firebird connection strings.

Generally, a database that supports SQL connection strings and commands is accessible from Synopsis.

In the next version there will be two additional database components: ODBC and OLE components that allow for optimized DB connection using the respective interfaces.

Hope that this helps.
anachreon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, but maybe I should have been a little clearer (my bad, been a very busy few weeks!):

I was wondering if you would include an embedded database in the development system (actually, maybe have the option to load/unload it if needed for the application to prevent the standalone from being too large).

I am seeing this as an added value to the system as this would preclude new users from having to install their own (which they may not be familiar with) and be able to create database apps without the worry of another application (the database) to take care of/install/manage, let alone have to worry about connection strings! Gotta keep it visual!

Having seen many embeddable databases Firebird seems to cater for most scenarios (has embedded as well as server) and the licencing is very generous. Just a thought.

On the cross-platform aspect: Is Synopsis written in .Net/C#? Just wondering because having seen the mono project (http://www.mono-project.com/) it came to mind. Again, the development environment is not an issue for me (although it would be nice to have that cross-platform too) but deployment would be great!

Cheers,

Luis.
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion.

Including a database with Synopsis could offer, as you point out, an advantage of having a tool embedded. On the other hand, however, licensing considerations need to be considered. Also, the choice of which database to include would be difficult as different applications require different databases, as evidenced by the plethora of database solutions in both the commercial and open source arenas.

Since the purpose of Synopsis is to provide a tool that allows for integration of disparate softwares, coupling the product with a third-party tool that takes the solution in a very specific direction would need to be carefully considered. What might be a viable approach in the future for this could be an application-specific version of Synopsis that ships with supporting toolsets.

Synopsis is built using many different technologies to support a wide-array of tools. Some parts of Synopsis are built in C# and most of Synopsis uses .NET. Your observation of Mono is a good one. As Mono continues to improve and become more powerful this could provide a platform for extending Synopsis to other environments.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: