codemorphis.com Forum Index codemorphis.com
Software development: pure and simple.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Send Mail Component

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> Visual Programming Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mforkner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Send Mail Component Reply with quote

I am using the Send Mail component, and it works great -- on some machines. Several machines I installed the program on would not send the mail, nor was there any error msg. All of the machines are identical except for the OS. Some are WinXp, and some are Win2K Pro. I compared the network settings but find nothing wrong, and also disabled the firewall and antivirus, and made sure the same .Net framework was on each machine --- nothing works. It is always Win2K machines giving the problem with only one WinXP machine refusing to send mail.

Has anyone else had any problems with sending mail?

Regards,
MF
mforkner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Send Mail Component Reply with quote

Also, all of the machines are current with windows updates.
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that one WinXP machine always fail to send mail? And with the Win2K machines you are never able to send mail?

The send mail component's activities can be checked by the computer's anti-virus programs and this is usually the problem. As you mention that you had disabled your anti-virus then it must be something else in your case.

Are you using the same SMTP for all machines? The reason for this question is that some service providers prevent email relaying by blocking port 25. This is done to prevent spam. If for example, the service provider does block relaying and you are using the SMTP of a different service provider then you will not be able to send mail. If you haven't already done so, please re-check using the SMTP of the local service provider.

Hope this helps.
mforkner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Send Mail Component Reply with quote

There are four machines: 2 XP, 2 W2K Pro. One XP machine will send mail, the other three do not. One of the W2K Pro machines is my home workstation, and the sendmail programs I experimented with initially that worked no longer send mail -- I have changed nothing on the home workstation or .vpd, so I'm baffled why the home pc no longer will send mail.

I was able to send mail from home using my RoadRunner broadband pop smtp server, but no longer. The computers at work are using a Lotus Domino server for email.

I'll keep experiementing and poking around, and will post any finding.

Thanks.
MF
mforkner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Send Mail Error Reply with quote

This is the error I get when attempting to send an email message to myself on my home workstation.

Window title is: Component Error
Message text is: An error occured in component <Send mail 1>.
Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.
Check the arguments to the component.

This program used to send an email to my account.

Also, I completely uninstalled my antivirus software and rebooted, and still got this message.

-MF
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that message error can occur when with either your anti-virus program prevents the email form being sent or if the SMTP used is blocked by your service provider.

Please try sending email with the SMTP of the local service provider, i.e. do not use a relay SMTP as this is now often blocked by service providers as they have been cracking down on spammers.

Hope this helps.
mforkner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Send Mail Reply with quote

I am using my local service provider while at home, and being relayed. At work I use the Domino server my Lotus Notes sends and receives mail thru, and it works on one XP machine. So for sure, I'm not being relayed.

Most puzzling... I'll keep this forum posted with any progress.

Thanks,
MF
mforkner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Mis stated Reply with quote

In my previous post I stated, "I am using my local service provider while at home, and being relayed."

This statement is incorrect. It should have said NOT being relayed.

While logged into the cable broadband network I am using the pop server my email client uses to xfer mail. So, NO relaying of mail.

Sorry for any confusion.
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to help others follow this thread, a description of SMTP relaying is in order.

Suppose that you have a machine at home and you are accessing the Internet with that machine through your service provider, let's call it company ABC. Suppose that the SMTP for this service provider is mail.ABC.com

Now let's suppose that at work you have another machine and the service provider there is a company XYZ with SMTP mail.XYZ.com.

Each machine should be able to send email by using the service provider's SMTP. Because of spam, many service providers now check that the SMTP used is not a remote SMTP, i.e the SMTP of a different provider.

In our example, this means that if either service provider blocks email relaying through port 25, then if you use mail.XYZ.com for the SMTP of the machine at home then your email will be blocked and you will see an error like "Could not access 'CDO.Message' object." Likewise, if you attempt to send email using SMTP mail.ABC.com on the machine at work then it will be locked.

The error message "Could not access 'CDO.Message' object." often corresponds to such a problem or the fact that your anti-virus program is blocking out-going email.
mforkner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Send Mail Error Reply with quote

I discovered today that if a file attachement specified is not found that the Send Mail component does not attempt to send the mail. That is why only one machine out of a total of eight will successfully send the mail... the one I wrote the vpd on.... naturally.

So to anyone using the Send Mail component and specifying attachments : include error checking for absent files.

The 'CDO.Message' error I get at home is most likely from the server name I supplied the Send Mail component. I copied the mail server name from my email client -- pop-server.nc.rr.com. The Send Mail component uses SMTP not POP, so I just got online ( I am currently at work ) and the server for SMTP at my ISP is -- smtp-server.nc.rr.com .... so when I get home tonight I will change the server name, and that will most likely fix the error. I will post my findings from home.

Thanks to Codemorphis for all the great advice and problem determination concerning my Send Mail component errors.

Regards,
MF
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a clarification - the protocol POP3 is for retrieval of email while SMTP is used for sending email. This applies for all email programs on the Internet. So yes, if you specify a POP3 address in the SMTP field of the Send Email component, then the email transfer will fail and you wil get the noted error message.

You are correct in your observation of the attachments - if one or more of the specified attachments do not exist then the send email operation is aborted. This should be amended to skip the missing attachment(s) and issue a warning message.

Thanks for your followup posts and hope that this helps.
mforkner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Send Mail Reply with quote

Changing the server designation to the smtp-server was the key, and I can't believe I copied the word 'pop-server' into a smtp client. It's always the little things...

I noticed that while in the Synopsis IDE that I did get a message that one or more files did not exist before termination (no email was sent.. but got a msg.), yet when run as a executable no msg is given. I put error checking to verify files are available for attachment.

Thanks again Codemorphis for all the great advice and problem determination.

MF
CodeMorphis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While in Synopsis you got a warning/error message to help with the development of your program. However, in the EXE built, those messages get redirected to the console, which does not exist if you built a Windows app (i.e. the "Create Console Window" option is unchecked in the Build .EXE dialog). The reason for this is that those error and warning messages are meant for development purposes and you likely would not want such errors to be popping up for the end-user of your application. Instead, as you are doing, you are putting in your own tests and appropriate messages for the user. If you use the "Create Console Window" option then you should still see those same messages appear in the DOS console.

Glad that you were able to discover the problem.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    codemorphis.com Forum Index -> Visual Programming Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: